GMP and MPFR

Philipp Christian Loewner bOrgph at web.de
Mon Oct 6 08:37:36 PDT 2008

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 17:17:01 +0200, Jeremy Huntwork
<jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> I'm just curious, what was the rationale behind building gmp and mpfr in
>   different manners within the same book? To be more specific, why let
> GCC build them internally for its own use on GCC pass1 and then build
> them separately for the other two passes of GCC?

I think this derived from a post in the thread GCC-4.3.2, Linux-2.6.26.2.
I don't have enough time on my hands to search the original post, though.

 From what I understand about it, building GMP and MPFR as separate
packages is the preferred method, but the bootstrap build will fail
to locate these programs in the /tools directory in the first stage.

Regards
	- Philipp