Does the M4 package need to be identified as a "host requirement"?

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 6 08:45:16 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Best I can tell the GMP package needs M4 to build successfully.
> This can be approached in one of two ways:
>
> 1. Build M4 before building GMP in Chapter 5 (in fact it may
> be needed to be built before GCC pass1 as GMP is built inside
> the GCC Pass1 instructions.
>
> 2. Add it to the Host Requirements page.

I would think that adding it to the Host Requirements page would be
slightly preferable. Here's my thinking:

We already have bison as a host req. Bison depends on m4, so most
distros I know will have m4 installed as a dependency of bison. Even
building bison from source requires that you first build m4, anyway. So
I tend to think of Bison and M4 going hand in hand. Why add an extra
thing to build if by far the majority of systems will have already had
m4 installed due to the bison req?

--
JH