GMP and MPFR

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 6 08:55:20 PDT 2008

Philipp Christian Loewner wrote:
>  From what I understand about it, building GMP and MPFR as separate
> packages is the preferred method, but the bootstrap build will fail
> to locate these programs in the /tools directory in the first stage.

Hmmm. I read through that thread already, but I didn't see any reasoning
for why the current approach. I don't know why installing them as
separate packages is preferable. Some things to consider:

  * Only GCC needs them.

  * GCC has a mechanism built in to build them and use them the way it
needs to. If we would just let it build them, then there's that much
less possibility of breakage due to misconfiguration.

  * I don't know if I particularly want to have two extra libs installed
in my final (or temporary) system that I will either rarely or never use
otherwise. I've used gpm separately before, but usually, in that
instance if I need it, I'm totally happy getting it and installing it then.

--
JH