GMP and MPFR

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Mon Oct 6 13:16:42 PDT 2008

Dan Nicholson wrote:

> Just for the record, I know guile can use an external libgmp:
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=blob;f=configure.in;h=e67e1d84;hb=HEAD#l820
>
> Google shows that clamav and openswan use it, too. I don't know if
> that's compelling enough, but I thought it should be known.

The next version (7.x) of Coreutils can link against libgmp if available.
>From the release notes:

"If the GNU MP library is available at configure time, factor and expr
support arbitrarily large numbers.  Pollard's rho algorithm is used to
factor large numbers."

Yet another reason for possibly separate gmp installation in the chroot.
Keep in mind tho' there are some gotchas. Last time I checked, the problem
pointed to below was still there ie: build failure for 32-bit x86 if the
real hardware is 64-bit.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-10/msg00698.html

Regards
Greg