GMP and MPFR

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 6 16:21:11 PDT 2008

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know I'm jumping in a little bit late here, but I'm having trouble
> spotting where this discussion took place and I'd appreciate a cluebat.
>
> I'm just curious, what was the rationale behind building gmp and mpfr in
>   different manners within the same book? To be more specific, why let
> GCC build them internally for its own use on GCC pass1 and then build
> them separately for the other two passes of GCC?

I do not have all the details in front of me, but somebody said that gcc
failed if gmp was not on the host in pass1.  Greg pointed us to a DIY
thread that showed how to build with GCC.  There was no _need_ to build
inline beyond that point, because that fixed the problem of the extra
host system requirement.  The extra packages are minimal, and required
one way or the other.  Shared seems better IMO as I use GMP anyway.  It
might not be a bad idea (less maintenance) to build the same way for
both early builds and only build gmp and mpfr standalone for the final,
though I haven't tried that yet.

-- DJ Lucas