Vim in Chapter 5?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 08:55:50 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Noted in DJ's book that he adds the installation of VIM to
> Chapter 5. I do the same on my builds as well.
>
> However, I believe I remember that the community's consensus
> is that it not be there.
>
> Thoughts from others?

I don't see the need.  If one wants to do it themselves for their convenience,
then that is up the the user.  Using an editor in Chapter 6 is not really
required.  I've never felt the need.  Note that there are other ways to edit,
although perhaps not with the same convenience.  Typically when in Chapter 6, a
user could mount the LFS partition from another shell and edit a text file from
there.

   -- Bruce