iana-etc with STRIP=yes

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Tue Oct 7 09:18:03 PDT 2008

Selon Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org>:

> Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr. wrote:
> > Not a major issue, but a recent thread shows using the make STRIP=yes on
> > iana-etc to cut out comments and accelerate the port search on port
> > resolution. In the new LSF does  anyone remember to put this on the book?
>
> Not sure about the "accelerate the port search on port resolution".
> Here's a quote from Seth's (the maintainer) site:
>
>      To throw out the useful comments in generated files (useful for embedded
>      installations), use:
>
> 	make STRIP=yes
>

> He doesn't mention anything about acceleration. He says it's
> useful for embedded systems. Do you have a URL of this thread?

Reference are in DIY side.
http://www.diy-linux.org/reference-build/chroot2.html#c2-iana-etc

http://www.diy-linux.org/pipermail/diy-linux-dev/2006-January/000719.html
or
http://unix.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/FreeBSD/current/2004-07/0465.html

without STRIP=yes
ls -l build/etc/{services,protocols}
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  23403 Aug  5 19:59 build/etc/protocols
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 938722 Aug  5 19:59 build/etc/services

with STRIP=yes
ls -l build/etc/{services,protocols}
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2078 Aug  6 10:52 build/etc/protocols
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 192217 Aug  6 10:52 build/etc/services

As size is mostly divided by 5, this could only accelerate the search.

I have been too lazy to build the test program that should be on the second URL
thread to have more numbers.

I am unsure of the difference in real life but that can't be slower.

Gilles