Util-linux-ng nitpicks

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 7 14:01:27 PDT 2008

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> I've done a search of the LSB-Core-Generic-3.2 and LSB-Core-IA32-3.2 PDFs and didn't find any mention of 'addpart', 'delpart' or 'partx'.
>
> Looking at the man pages for each, I'm having a hard time understanding the use-cases for each of these programs.  Why would one need to tell Linux about partitions if no changes have been made?  Likewise, if one is making changes to partition tables, why would the program that is making those changes not inform Linux about those changes?

Wish I could help, Matt. But I simply don't know anything about
the part* stuff. I simply saw that over in CBLFS, there was a
mention about it. But you never know about what is over there,
anyone can update a page on that Wiki, be it good information
or bad.

My question to the community, is should this be added to LFS?
I really don't know about the part* stuff. I don't think Joe C.
is subscribed any longer, but if someone wanted to send him
a private email, he may have insight.

--
Randy