Groff

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 7 16:19:03 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 05:59:14PM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm way on the downhill side of getting all the package
> updates in. Groff is sort of a bugaboo, however. The
> DJ book uses the Groff-UTF8 package, but I'm not sure it
> does much.
>
> Please give some input if you have any on this subject.
> It would be an addition to LFS Chapter 6. Do we need it?
>
> Note that the plans right now are to still include the
> man-db package and not the man package which DJ used in
> his version.
>
> Any and all input in this internationalization stuff would
> be appreciated, as I'm a totally English speaking Editor
> without much knowledge about i18n.

 I was the one who mentioned groff-utf8: from what Colin said,
*current* man-db looks a better way to go (i.e. it converts non-UTF8
pages, so we don't have to recode them).  The issue seems to be "can
we use recent groff with man-db ?" and for that I have no idea, I
haven't even got close to looking at how it's all set up in current
debian and ubuntu.

 Using man-db also avoids having to re-encode the catgets messages
in man.

 What groff-utf8 does is output UTF-8 from UTF-8 pages, but only
for 'man' and perhaps only for on-screen display - it was rejected
upstream because people use groff for all sorts of other purposes.

ĸen