Groff

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 7 16:16:31 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm way on the downhill side of getting all the package
> updates in. Groff is sort of a bugaboo, however. The
> DJ book uses the Groff-UTF8 package, but I'm not sure it
> does much.
>
> Please give some input if you have any on this subject.
> It would be an addition to LFS Chapter 6. Do we need it?

No.  Groff-utf8 is a hack that is partially usable until groff-2.0.  As
it was not configured anyway, and man-db handles UTF-8 man pages fine
(as long as they are placed into the correct directory), we should leave
man-db and groff alone for now.  The use of the convert-mans script in
the book is also obsoleted by man-db-2.5.1, however, I think it should
stay as it is a good utility and can be used both ways.  I'll be making
corrections to the text at some point in the near future, but we are
sticking with the Debian patched groff for now.

-- DJ Lucas