Util-linux-ng nitpicks

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 21:05:33 PDT 2008

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:52:24 -0500, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> partprobe is very useful.  If you create a new partition, you can use
>> partprobe to make the current system recognize it without rebooting.
>
> But partprobe comes from parted, not util-linux :)
>
>> One determining factor is if those programs are required by the LSB or
>> not.  I
>> don't have time to check today.  I'd have to install the test suite and
>> run it.
>
> I've done a search of the LSB-Core-Generic-3.2 and LSB-Core-IA32-3.2 PDFs and didn't find any mention of 'addpart', 'delpart' or 'partx'.
>

> Looking at the man pages for each, I'm having a hard time
> understanding the use-cases for each of these programs.  Why would
> one need to tell Linux about partitions if no changes have been made?

One can dd the whole disk image (including the partition table) from
some NFS server where such images are stored, and then one should tell
the kernel about the new partition table. Although blockdev --rereadpt
works just fine for this particular task.

> Likewise, if one is making changes to partition tables, why would the
> program that is making those changes not inform Linux about those
> changes?

dd, see example above, It just doesn't know that it modifies the
partition table :)

--
Alexander E. Patrakov