Confused about some E2fsprogs notes

Steve Crosby steve.crosby at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 23:37:58 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Trent Shea <trent.shea at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 05 October 2008 16:43:32 Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> > rml at rmlscsi: ~/build > sudo /sbin/debugfs -R feature /dev/sda3
>> > debugfs 1.41.1 (01-Sep-2008)
>> > Filesystem features: has_journal filetype needs_recovery
>> > sparse_super large_file
>> >
>> > it shows only a subset of the features the book says.
>> >
>> > I don't really know how to determine what to do at this point.
>> > I show many less features than the book does. What should I do
>> > to ensure the feature list is correct?
>>
>> I'm pretty sure this only lists the actual feature set of the
>> partition, not the list of all possible options.   See
>>
>> sudo /sbin/dumpe2fs /dev/sda3 | grep features
>

> I've run both commands on a file system and had the same results appear,
> so I dug around a bit, and it looks like this was discussed a bit back
> in the day:
>
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2006-July/057711.html

The purpose of the test was to check if your *host* system has a
modified e2fsprogs, which means that when you create your LFS
partition using that modified software you may run into problems when
in chroot, as we won't have those same modifications with the LFS
installation of e2fsprogs. As long as you don't have *more* that the
feature set listed, your okay. This could perhaps indicate the wording
of the paragraph could use some adjustment.

--
-- -
Steve Crosby