Using the 'readlink' command

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 10 19:39:08 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I used the readlink command in the Udev instructions to move
the .so files to /usr/lib as they are initially installed in
/lib. Credit Dan Nicholson for the initial work on this change.
This was started in BLFS and I believe it to be the right
direction to go.

This has benefits, and drawbacks. The benefits being that we'll
never have to update the command to reflect the maintainer of
the package updating the library file names (foobar.so.0.0.1
to foobar.so.0.1.0 and so forth and so on).

The drawback being that if the commands are issued more than
once, after the /lib/file.so file has been removed, the command
will fail in that it will create invalid symlinks.

I'm looking for the community to decide which way to go. If
you're not sure what I'm speaking of, compare the current
Readline instructions to recreate the .so files in /usr/lib
against the new instructions used for the Udev instructions.

I really don't care either way, I just want the community to
be in agreement.

--
Randy