Using the 'readlink' command

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 10 22:03:40 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I used the readlink command in the Udev instructions to move
> the .so files to /usr/lib as they are initially installed in
> /lib. Credit Dan Nicholson for the initial work on this change.
> This was started in BLFS and I believe it to be the right
> direction to go.
Wait, which libs?  I haven't got a chance to look at a finished system.  Are any of those libs used when udev starts?  If so, then the situation is easy, the libraries cannot be moved.  Simple test case:

telinit 1
mv /usr /usr-bak
# reboot into runlevel 2
# if any errors occur during boot, the system is not FHS compliant and
# should be corrected before moving /usr-bak to its original location

-- DJ Lucas