Linux Headers Installation

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 11 11:27:36 PDT 2008

Hi all,

There's a minor ticket about explaining what the installation
commands in the Linux Headers installation do, and it occurred
to me that is it possible that there's a redundant step?

Here's the existing commands (with my comments for the
book inserted as well):

First ensure the source tree is completely clean:

make mrproper

Next, ensure all the required headers are complete and available:

make headers_check

Now here is where I don't really see the need for two commands:

make INSTALL_HDR_PATH=dest headers_install
cp -rv dest/include/* /usr/include

Couldn't we just use the command:

make INSTALL_HDR_PATH=/usr headers_install

and be done with it?

Pardon me if I'm missing the obvious, or I'm not doing my research.

--
Randy