Does the M4 package need to be identified as a "host requirement"?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 13:11:38 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> Sorry for quoting the entire previous post, but the material is
> all relevant, and we need to make a decision. Here's the choices:
>
> 1. Use Jeremy's suggestion that since Bison is already a prerequisite,
> which mean that m4 is probably on the host as well, simply disregard
> the issue and leave the Chapter 5 M4 installation in its alphabetical
> position.
>
> 2. Make M4 a prerequisite.
>
> 3. Move the M4 Chapter 5 installation to be right after the Binutils
> Pass 1 installation.
>
> Let's make a decision and put this one to bed.

Since M4 is basically a short CMMI install at 0.2 SBU and 10M disk, I'd prefer
to see it retained in Chapter 5 and moved.  It may not be strictly necessary but
the overhead of doing so is really negligible and the more we build using our
own tools without relying on the host's tools, the better.

   -- Bruce