Linux Headers Installation

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 11 16:30:15 PDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 02:16:18PM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Reece Dunn wrote:
>
> > I asked this question on 21/11/2007 ("Linux Headers question"
> > [http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-November/060618.html]),
> > which likely resulted in that ticket item. I got essentially the same
> > response from Thomas Trepl and Mark Rosenstand:
> >
> > Thomas Trepl wrote:
> >> Because this would clean the /usr/include first and than install the headers.
> >> With this, some installed headers will be lost.
>
> Ahh, I didn't realize that INSTALL_HDR_PATH/include was cleaned
> before the headers were installed. This would explain Chapter 5
> but not Chapter 6. /usr/include would be empty during the Headers
> installation in chapter 6.

 If you do everything correctly, without any problems, yes.  I think
the current method is to provide some help if someone skips over the
headers (e.g. an inadvertent double-click on next-page in a graphical
browser, or just misses the install command), gets further in to the
build, and then tries to recover.

 In my particular case, I think I hit this on a "build itself" test
(using the "rebuild chapter 6 in place" method).  I no longer care
about that ('farce' was bamboozled by differences no-one here could
adequately explain, and anyway the book is about using /tools for the
next build), but it's nice not to trip people up unnecessarily.

ĸen