Ticket 2156 - LFS LiveCD is dead

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 22:48:57 PDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/2156
>
> I have changed my copy of the book to read.
> ------------
>   As an alternative to installing a separate distribution onto your machine, you
> may wish to use the Linux From Scratch LiveCD. The CD works well as a host
> system, providing all the tools you need to successfully follow the instructions
> in this book. Unfortunately, development of the LiveCD has not progressed
> recently and it only contains older versions of the source packages, patches,
> and this book. For more information about the LFS LiveCD or to download a copy,
> visit http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/.
>
> Note
>
> The LFS LiveCD might not work on newer hardware configurations, failing to boot
> or failing to detect some devices, like SATA hard drives.
> -------------
>
> The web page that is the link target will also need to be updated.
>
> Should I commit this?

Probably yes, but after some fixes.

1) "It only contains older versions of the source packages, patches, and
this book" - overly optimistic. The -nosrc and -min versions don't
contain any sources or patches (but they do contain the old book).

2) The text gives the LFS LiveCD unustified preference WRT other
LiveCDs. Basically, I want the book to say "if you don't to install a
distribution, use a LiveCD that qualifies as a host distribution. Here
are some examples: ..., ..., old LFS LiveCD", not "if you don't want to
install a distribution, try LFS LiveCD".

--
Alexander E. Patrakov