Chapter 6 Coreutils installation

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 09:46:32 PDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Randy McMurchy
<randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Robert Connolly wrote these words on 10/12/08 11:27 CST:
>
>> There may not be a technical reason for installing Coreutils early, just that
>> it's one of the most heavily used packages.
>
> I know there was much work put into rearranging the build order of
> the various packages so that as much as possible would be built in
> alphabetical order.
>
> I'm trying to figure out why the binaries in /tools/{,s}bin wouldn't
> work. I'm sure there's a good reason, I'd just like to know what it
> is. :-)
>
> Same with the Sed package, why couldn't /tools/bin/sed be adequate
> until Sed is built in Chapter 6?

Usually the reason is because the path to the tools gets built into
another script/program. In the dependencies appendix, it says that sed
must be built before e2fsprogs. I think it's mk_cmds that hardcodes
the location of sed, but that's just a guess.

I think coreutils must be built before bash because of something that
gets substituted into bashbug.

--
Dan