Chapter 6 Coreutils installation

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 09:48:10 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Robert Connolly wrote these words on 10/12/08 11:27 CST:
>
>> There may not be a technical reason for installing Coreutils early, just that
>> it's one of the most heavily used packages.
>
> I know there was much work put into rearranging the build order of
> the various packages so that as much as possible would be built in
> alphabetical order.
>
> I'm trying to figure out why the binaries in /tools/{,s}bin wouldn't
> work. I'm sure there's a good reason, I'd just like to know what it
> is. :-)
>
> Same with the Sed package, why couldn't /tools/bin/sed be adequate
> until Sed is built in Chapter 6?

I'm a bit hazy on this and don't want to take to time to try to dig through the
archives.  However, I think Robert is right.  At the time we just wanted to
promote the tools that are used a lot.  I don't think there are any technical
issues that would prevent using the Chapter 5 versions of coreutils or sed
between coreutils and diffutils.

   -- Bruce