Chapter 6 Sed installation

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 12 10:41:48 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Looking at the build order, I'm curious as to why the Chapter 6
> Sed installation is so far up in the build. It is built in
> Chapter 5, and there's only a binary program installed (other
> than docs and locales), so there should be no real need to build
> it out of alphabetical order.
>
> Or am I missing something?

Sed is one of those programs that gets hard-coded into installed shell
scripts provided by certain other programs. I can't even recall which
program does it (e2fsprogs?, coreutils?), but if you don't build it
early, you'll end up with bash scripts installed in the final system
which contain references to '/tools/bin/sed'. If you search through the
list archives, you should be able to find which programs are the guilty
party.

Of course, if we kept track of exactly which program does this, we could
always turn those instances of '/tools/bin/sed' to just 'sed' after
'make install' and let the PATH work it out, but it's a little bit more
robust, I feel, to just remove that possibility entirely by having sed
built early.

--
JH