Chapter 6 Coreutils installation

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 11:49:04 PDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Randy McMurchy
<randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 10/12/08 11:46 CST:
>
>> Usually the reason is because the path to the tools gets built into
>> another script/program. In the dependencies appendix, it says that sed
>> must be built before e2fsprogs. I think it's mk_cmds that hardcodes
>> the location of sed, but that's just a guess.
>>
>> I think coreutils must be built before bash because of something that
>> gets substituted into bashbug.
>
> I was out at the barn feeding the animals and I thought the same exact
> thing. That some *broken* packages have hard-coded paths to /usr. But
> it's been a long time since we alphabetized the installation and almost
> every package has been updated since.
>
> I wonder if that brokenness has been fixed. Worth a jhalfs try to see
> if we can move coreutils and sed into alphabetic order.

If it's an autotooled package, you can usually figure it out pretty
fast in the package. Looking at e2fsprogs, I see AC_PATH_PROG(SED,
sed, sed) in configure.in. So, it's going to subsitute for values of
@SED at . grep points to:

./lib/ss/mk_cmds.sh.in:SED=@SED@

So, you can probably knock that one out with:

sed -i 's, at SED@,/bin/sed,' lib/ss/mk_cmds.sh.in

Or just drop the /bin and let sed be found from PATH. Repeat for file,
libtool, and shadow.

--
Dan