Shadows 'groupmems' program segfaults

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 12 14:11:22 PDT 2008

On Sunday October 12 2008 03:50:32 pm Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Robert Connolly wrote:
> > As root, I tried every 'groupmems' option, and they all work. I'm using
> > shadow-4.1.2.1, glibc-2.8-20080908, binutils-2.18.50.0.9, and
> > gcc-4.2.5-20080903.
>
> I cannot reproduce the segfault. Not sure why. Strange.
>
> One thing that needs to be reported upstream, however.
> The groupmems program only updates /etc/group and doesn't
> update /etc/gshadow. Seems the program should update both
> for consistency sake.
>
> --
> Randy

'groupmems' looks like an alternative to 'gpasswd', using filesystem
permissions on /usr/sbin/groupmems instead of a password. You can ask
upstream, but I don't think it supposed to modify /etc/gpasswd.

The suggested permissions of 2770 is messed up though, giving everyone in
the "groups" group write permission to an suid.

robert