Udev Rules

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 12 18:22:10 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There was a ticket opened, and since closed as invalid that
> some Udev rules belong in /lib/udev instead of /etc/udev.
>
> To me, Udev rules are configuration items and belong in
> /etc, but that's just my opinion.
>
> There was a mention (not sure how valid it is) that the
> Udev maintainers suggest /lib/udev as the proper place.
>
> I'm posting this to see if anyone has any other information
> that may be relevant to this issue.

Sorry...already reopened as I didn't see Bruce's comment about closing
it.  Closed it again.  Well anyway, Dan posted a link to the
conversation upstream.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.hotplug.devel/12895

Bottom line, it is still left to opinion for now.  However, I too am
leaning towards /lib/udev/rules.d myself for both rule sets.  Taken from
the README:

> Default udev rules, which are not supposed to be edited by the user,
> should
> be placed in /lib/udev/rules.d/ now, to make it clear that they are
> private to
> the udev package and will be replaced with an update. Udev will pick
> up rule
> files from:
>   /lib/udev/rules.d/  - default installed rules
>   /etc/udev/rules.d/  - user rules + on-the-fly generated rules
>   /dev/.udev/rules.d/ - temporary non-persistent rules created after
> bootup
> It does not matter in which directory a rule file lives, all files are
> sorted
> in lexical order.
"Will be replaced with an update" is the kicker.

-- DJ Lucas