Chapter 6 Coreutils installation

Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 14:03:19 PDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, at 11:56 Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 10/12/08 11:46 CST:
>
> > Usually the reason is because the path to the tools gets built into
> > another script/program. In the dependencies appendix, it says that sed
> > must be built before e2fsprogs. I think it's mk_cmds that hardcodes
> > the location of sed, but that's just a guess.
> >
> > I think coreutils must be built before bash because of something that
> > gets substituted into bashbug.
>
> I was out at the barn feeding the animals and I thought the same exact
> thing. That some *broken* packages have hard-coded paths to /usr. But
> it's been a long time since we alphabetized the installation and almost
> every package has been updated since.

By the way.  In a sane environment, I don't think there is really a need
for hard-coded paths.

And because, I have some difficulties to understand why a developer, thinks
that (hard-coding a path) is a good idea, is there any really merit that
I am missing, or it is just plain babysitting by an overzealous developer?
If the latter, then this should be considered as broken behavior and should
be fixed (if possible) and reported upstream.

> I wonder if that brokenness has been fixed. Worth a jhalfs try to see
> if we can move coreutils and sed into alphabetic order.

This link and the relative ticket #684, should help also or at least
bookmarked for any future usage,

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~chris/dependencies.txt

> Randy

Regards,