Udev Rules

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Mon Oct 13 14:30:56 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr." <douglas at trenix.com.br>
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 9:05 PM
Subject: Re: Udev Rules

> I'm too.

Place of rules is not only a matter of taste between /etc and /lib
http://marc.info/?l=linux-hotplug&m=121828444204300&w=2

If you place everything on /etc, there is no more a priority at one place
for custom changes.

> > udev maintainer claim
> > "Most udev rules are not config files, not supposed to be edited, and
> > therefore do not belong into /etc."
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-hotplug&m=121839763301840&w=2
> >

> > Gilles
> Well, than it couldn't be editable by a config file, correct?. At least,
> the "defaults" for the basic devices must to be resonable, and we all make
> ours "udev-configs packages" to create a secure and organized /dev because
> these defaults are somewhat insecure or/and ugly.
>
> I always believe that /lib and /usr/lib are place to store modules,
libraries,
> binary data and support programs, not plain configurarion texts. Be it for
> create defaults or not.

placing rules on /etc is discouraged like editing _default_ rules
http://marc.info/?l=linux-hotplug&m=121846825230235&w=2

Gilles