glibc-2.8-20080929 build fails in Chapter 5

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Oct 15 10:35:12 PDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote:
>
>> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>
>>> LFS SVN-20081015
>>>
>>> I tried jhalfs and a manual build but glibc fails for me in exactly the same place:
>>>
>>> /mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libssp/../../../gcc-4.3.2/libssp/ssp.c:175:
>>>

>> What is the host?
>>

> An older version of LFS.
> -------------
> Linux lfs6 2.6.22.5 #3 SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 7 12:50:26 CST 2008 i686 pentium4
> i386 GNU/Linux

<snip>
> Note on the current system the log has:
>
> $wc -l *
>       212 000-masterscript.log
>      2335 028-binutils-pass1
>       856 029-m4
>     16655 030-gcc-pass1
>      2486 031-linux-headers
>     14392 032-glibc
>
> I don't think your earlier post had m4 after binutils.

No.  I have m4 on the host.  The move had not been done yet.

I'm thinking that we really should go for the minimal build of gcc
pass1.  It can eliminate a lot of little issues like this...not to
mention that we do not need them for the temorary build tools in Chapter
5.  Might reduce the time considerably.  I'd think at least the
--disalbe-libmudflap and --disable-libssp switches for gcc-pass1 would
be safe, but I believe Greg has a quite a few more helpful tweaks in DIY
(don't have the time to look right this second).

-- DJ Lucas