glibc-2.8-20080929 build fails in Chapter 5

Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr. douglas at trenix.com.br
Wed Oct 15 12:15:31 PDT 2008

Em Wednesday 15 October 2008 15:58:10 Robert Connolly escreveu:
> On Wednesday October 15 2008 03:39:49 am Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > LFS SVN-20081015
> >
> > I tried jhalfs and a manual build but glibc fails for me in exactly the
> > same place:
> >
> > /mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libssp/../../../gcc-4.3.2/li
> >bs sp/ssp.c:175: multiple definition of `__stack_chk_fail_local'
> > /mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build/libc_nonshared.a(stack_chk_fail_local.oS):/m
> >nt /lfs/sources/glibc-2.8-20080929/debug/stack_chk_fail_local.c:28: first
> > defined here
> >
> > This was while trying to build
> >
> >    -o /mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build/nscd/nscd
> >
> > Has anyone else see this?
> >
> >    -- Bruce
>
> Glibc builds nscd with -fstack-protector. If GCC pass1 does not find a new
> version of glibc (glibc-2.5 I think), it will link to libssp
> when -fstack-protector is used, and then you get this conflict.
>
> --disable-libssp in GCC pass1 is best. Last time I looked at the test in
> gcc/configure, it checks "/usr/include/features.h" for the Glibc version.
> So you will probably need --disable-libssp in GCC pass2 too, because
> gcc/configure is going to check your host again, and you'll run into the
> same conflict in the chroot. --disable-libssp prevents libssp from being
> built, and removes -lssp from gcc specs, so -fstack-protector will only
> work if you have libssp built in to libc.
For toolchain it's fine.

We can alter the spec too, forcing gcc to defaut for -fno-stack-protector.

> --disable-libssp can be used again in the chroot when building gcc.
> Everything in this library is included in Glibc-2.8, and libssp is just a
> waste of space.
Ok, but if you want this in your final system? I've been use stack-protection
for a year with gcc-4.1.x and glibc-2.5.x in production and don't want to
loose this now!!! :-(

(note: glibc *is not* compiled with ssp in my hosts, but any other package is)

I think forcing a -fno-stack-protector to glibc is better than send libssp
entirely to oblivion.

> robert
thx

--