glibc-2.8-20080929 build fails in Chapter 5

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Oct 15 12:42:37 PDT 2008

On Wednesday October 15 2008 03:15:31 pm Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr. wrote:
> > --disable-libssp can be used again in the chroot when building gcc.
> > Everything in this library is included in Glibc-2.8, and libssp is just a
> > waste of space.
>
> Ok, but if you want this in your final system? I've been use
> stack-protection for a year with gcc-4.1.x and glibc-2.5.x in production
> and don't want to loose this now!!! :-(
>
> (note: glibc *is not* compiled with ssp in my hosts, but any other package
> is)
>
> I think forcing a -fno-stack-protector to glibc is better than send libssp
> entirely to oblivion.

When GCC 4.1 released libssp, Glibc copied all of libssp in to Glibc, for
better performance. This happened in Glibc 2.4 or 2.5. If you're running a
new Glibc, libssp can not be used because it will conflict with identical
functions in Glibc.

The only way I can think of using libssp is when cross compiling... linking to
another libc with no ssp support, and libssp.a. Aside from this, nothing is
lost if libssp is not installed.

robert