Teminal issues in -dev

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 15:10:33 PDT 2008

After jhalfs completed, I followed the instructions to chroot and set the root
passwd.  I used:

/usr/sbin/chroot "$LFS" /usr/bin/env -i \
     HOME=/root TERM=linux PS1='\u:\w\$ '     \
     PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin       \
     /bin/bash --login

It's been a while and I don't remember -- The login is in / and not /root.  IS
that normal?

I can't use less or passwd.  less displays the file and immediately terminates.
  passwd gives:

# passwd
Changing password for root
Enter the new password (minimum of 5 characters)
Please use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers.
Bad password: too short.
Warning: weak password (enter it again to use it anyway).
Password changed.

With no chance of typing the password.

man gives:

man: command exited with status 256: less -s

This looks like a terminal problem to me.  I have tried a TERM of linux and
xterm.  I have LANG=C.  vim works fine, including color.

I can work around these issues of course, but I'd like to use the tools via
chroot.  Any ideas?  Does this impact the book or is it just my forgetfulness?

   -- Bruce