Teminal issues in -dev

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 20:47:35 PDT 2008

Trent Shea wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 October 2008 19:56:44 Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Actually the issue only comes up if the user uses jhalfs or reboots
>> or umounts /dev.  I'd just like to make it easier than having to
>> remember an obscure command.
>

> True. There is a note in 6.61. Cleaning Up, but the only reason I
> remember it is from reading about the issue on the list another time,
> and the fact that I ran into the passwd issue a day or so earlier.
>
> Strictly speaking, I think the warning in the book may be enough. I
> haven't really looked at jhalfs, so this may be way off, but would it
> be possible to add the required command there?
>
> Also, my lack of /dev leads me to question how far would you be able to
> continue on with BLFS with just the three nodes? ie. if you really want
> to do anything with the system do you need to bind /dev anyhow?

I think you can do a lot of building with the basic tools.  I some cases, you
might need to recreate /proc within the chroot environment, but you wouldn't
need to access other ttys, loop, ram, input, fd, audio, usb, hda/sda, etc.  The
purpose of reentering the chroot environment is to compile or recompile programs
or set the root password.  Editing configuration files like fstab can be done
from outside chroot.

Actually, if the user is knowledgeable, shadow can be edited from outside chroot
to allow a root login without a password.  I've had to do that a couple of times
when I forgot to set it while building.

In any case I just want to add one line (and some text) to:

mknod -m 600 $LFS/dev/console c 5 1
mknod -m 666 $LFS/dev/null c 1 3

adding

mknod -m 666 $LFS/dev/tty c 5 0

If that is done in Chapter 6, then the user doesn't have to remember any
additional lines other than the chroot line (which is difficult enough).

   -- Bruce