Teminal issues in -dev

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Oct 15 20:59:31 PDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> mknod -m 666 $LFS/dev/tty c 5 0
>
> If that is done in Chapter 6, then the user doesn't have to remember any
> additional lines other than the chroot line (which is difficult enough).

Keep in mind why you want this. If you are really going through the book
as a user, this entire conversation is moot. You will not be outside of
dev trying to get back in before you reboot your new system with a shiny
new udev to auto-populate /dev. Unless, of course, you've restarted your
machine in which case the book has already referred you to the beginning
  of chapter six.

So, really, it appears that you want this to make your experience with
jhalfs nicer. In which case, is it really harder to remember:

mount --bind /dev $LFS/dev

I'm not intending to be unsympathetic. I just don't understand how your
proposed command really benefits the average end user.

--
JH