Teminal issues in -dev

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 16 05:17:15 PDT 2008

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 00:30:46 -0400, Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> I don't believe it's about simply minimalism, but it's about keeping to
> the point. If it is really beneficial to many users in various
> circumstances to have such a command in the book, great, add it. But if
> it's just because you want to make the jhalfs experience nicer, it feels
> a good deal more appropriate to modify jhalfs.

I agree completely, and I say this having hit exactly the same problems as Bruce.  The issue, as I understand it, is that once complete, jhalfs throws you out of the chroot.  This results in /dev being emptied such that when you chroot back in pretty much everything is b0rked.

Maybe this is as easy to fix as adding another option to jhalfs menu configuration that reads something like 'Exit chroot on completion (default N)', then conditionally exiting the chroot based on that option?  The common use case here, I think, would be to be left in the chroot such that one can continue building BLFS.  Or maybe it's not, and I should get out of that bad habit and reboot into my shiny new jhalfs-built LFS and do things properly :-)

Regards,

Matt.