New Linux Headers method

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 17 08:59:08 PDT 2008

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> I realize this was just FYI, but since you casually mention
> adding a minimal Perl to /tools, I'd thought I'd mention that
> it really wouldn't do us any good.

I expected this response from someone at some point. :)

Yeah, I'm not suggesting we do this for LFS. In fact, I wouldn't want to
do it for my own experimental builds, which is why I made the patch.

Don't take anything that I'm currently doing as intended for LFS prime
time. As I said elsewhere, I'm running test builds on RedHat 6.2,
comparing differences between LFS and DIY, reading up, and generally
learning more and more what makes the build work and what makes it
break. Most of what comes from this is for my own education and FYI to
everyone else that's interested.

The host prerequisites for LFS do seem a little arbitrary at times (for
example, before I hit this issue with the kernel's headers scripts,
there's no technical reason why perl 5.6.0 needed to be the minimum
version). But I understand why it's desirable from an editor's
standpoint to set your host pre reqs high.

--
JH