r8649 - in trunk/BOOK: appendices chapter01 chapter05

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 18 11:30:21 PDT 2008

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Whichever way I look at it, it feels dirty. :/

Just as a followup, what I would suggest is:

* move m4 to a location similar to other packages in chapter 5 so that
it is linked against our temporary libs in /tools and will work
independently with /tools. (Let's not forget the the book says that
/tools can be tarred up and used later - if m4 is broken because of a
dependency on specific host libs, this recommendation is broken).

* If we feel it's necessary to include m4 before GCC pass 1 in the build
because we don't trust what the host has, build and intall another copy
into /tools before you do binutils (similar to how DIY builds a pre-copy
of bash, sed and make) otherwise, just make it a host pre req.

--
JH