Using m4 in the temporary tools and installing it after autoconf in chapter 6 makes a tool of a autoconf link to the m4 in /tools

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 18 18:48:31 PDT 2008

Chris Staub wrote:
> Another problem (not really related to this, but it does also involve
> m4) is that, as the book is now, m4 in /tools is not linked to /tools.
> Either m4 needs to be built again in /tools sometime after the toolchain
> adjustment, or the host system's m4 can be used for GCC and the m4 in
> /tools can be moved later in the build order.

This is what I was saying in my other post. :)

So, to sum up, we have two problems:

1. m4 in chapter five doesn't link against /tools
2. m4 in chapter six is built to late to avoid hard-coded paths to
/tools/bin/m4 showing up in autotools scripts.

I personally think that we can trust the host system to have a working
m4 for the first pass of gcc, so we can just move the order in chapter 5
so that m4 is built after gcc/binutils pass2.

Chapter 6 should be easy enough, just move m4 up to before autofoo.

If no one beats me to this, I'll add this in, along with a pre-req for
m4 on the host.

--
JH