Toolchain Adjustment broken?

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 19 15:05:17 PDT 2008

Hello all,

With the upgrade to gcc 4.3.2, I believe the section in the toolchain
adjustment in chapter 5 that deals with fixed includes is broken. For
those of you that have recently built with jhalfs, I'd appreciate it if
you'd look in your logs to verify that the following commands have
actually done anything:

GCC_INCLUDEDIR=`dirname $(gcc -print-libgcc-file-name)`/include &&
find ${GCC_INCLUDEDIR}/* -maxdepth 0 -xtype d -exec rm -rvf '{}' \; &&
rm -vf `grep -l "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE" ${GCC_INCLUDEDIR}/*` &&
unset GCC_INCLUDEDIR

I believe that this is because the 'fixed includes' we're trying to
remove are now actually stored in the equivalent of:

`dirname $(gcc -print-libgcc-file-name)`/include-fixed

The build is probably succeeding for most of you because the host is
similar enough to the LFS system we're building for the changes not to
matter, but it breaks on my RH 6.2 host unless I remove the files
'wchar.h' and 'sys/stat.h' located in the include-fixed directory
mentioned above.

I believe the commands above would work as they were intended if we just
changed 'include' to 'include-fixed'.

We might also be able to simplify them to just:

rm -vf `grep -l "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE" ${GCC_INCLUDEDIR/* -R`

--
JH