Minimum Host Prerequisites

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 20 08:19:48 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 10:36:14AM -0400, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

>   * "Gcc-3.0.1" can at _least_ become "Gcc-2.95" I don't know if you
> want to mention "egcs-2.91.66" but it works.

 Possibly, but if you have to build a linux-2.6 kernel on the old
host, you won't be able to build a recent version of 2.6 with those
old compilers.

 In an *ideal* world, I still think that building the kernel version
used in LFS on the host is the way to go.  Doesn't fit every usage,
but it has to be a lot better than attempting to support people
building from some antique version of 2.6.  Iff people are able to
build successfully with kernels < 2.6.16.recent [ chosen because
2.6.16 has long-term support ], that's good, but I don't think we
should be going out of our way to encourage it.

 FWIW, my _first_ experience with linux was using redhat 6.2 - that
was with a free CD from a magazine in late 1999.  Things have moved
on.  For the desktop, I can be rightly accused of not liking certain
modern developments, but even I think 9-year-old software is not a
normal place from which to start.

ĸen