Please review for Man-DB changes

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 20:06:45 PDT 2008

DJ Lucas wrote:
> Guys, I'm obviously lacking creativity tonight. ;-)  I've posted a local
> copy of the book in my home dir on quantum.  I would like someone else
> (or many somebody elses) to review the textual changes on the man-db
> page for both technical and grammatical errors.
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dj/LFS-MANDB/chapter06/man-db.html

I don't care for the wording:

"Use a sed substitution to delete the “/usr/man” and “/usr/local/man” lines in
the man_db.conf file to prevent redundant results when using programs such as
whatis:"

How about: "Since LFS sets /usr/man and /usr/local/man as symlinks, delete
lines in the configuration file that cause redundant results when using programs
such as whatis."

s/overcome/fixed/

s/This script was written, and included in LFS to overcome this problem.
The script will allow you to pass an in and out value to convert man pages to
and from legacy 8-bit and UTF-8 encodings./The following script will allow you
to convert man pages to and from legacy 8-bit and UTF-8 encodings./

Use <application>man-db</application> where appropriate.

s/will now properly convert UTF-8 encoded man pages to the user's locale on the
fly./will now dynamically convert UTF-8 encoded man pages to the user's locale./

s/Finally, it should be noted that most distributions,/Finally, most distributions,/

s/curretnly non-functional/currently not functional/

I think the following is what you mean, but I'm not sure.

s/The need to exclude the man7/iso_8859-7.7 file from the conversion process
because it is already in ISO-8859-1 is a packaging bug in man-pages-es-1.55./
The Spanish version of the man7/iso_8859-7.7 file needs to be excluded from the
conversion process because it is already in ISO-8859-1 format. This is a
packaging bug./

   -- Bruce