ICA/Farce

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 06:46:26 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 2:59 AM, TheOldFellow <theoldfellow at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I meant to say was that I, for one, would be grateful for any
> additional documentation of the subject.

It's pretty straightforward, although I might butcher some of the terminology.

The main goal is to see if the bootstrapping introduces any
differences in the build. So, you want to compare the boostrapped
build to a build that has been done against a totally in-place system.
Actually, as Greg says, the best results come from using 3 builds -
then you can see whether any differences are repeatable. So, you have:

Build 1: Bootstrapped against /tools
Build 2: Built against in-place bootstrapped system
Build 3: Built against in-place system

After Build 3, there's no reason to keep building since it would just
be the same as the 2 -> 3 build. Using 2 builds is useful if you know
what you're looking for, but 3 builds truly ensures that you don't get
false positives in the diffs.

The actual implementation mostly involves preparing to diff/cmp, and
is probably better explained by the comments in gsbuild. Look at the
bottom of the functions file for do_ica_prep() and do_ica_work().

http://cvs.diy-linux.org/index.cgi/gsbuild/common-sh.functions?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

--
Dan