perl-5.10.0

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 20:32:03 PDT 2008

I'm puzzling over two tickets concerning perl:  2071 and 2227

It looks like 2071 says that we need to add -Dvendorprefix=/usr to the
configuration process, but configure.gnu doesn't support it.

Dan mentions that he uses:

sh ./Configure -des \
         -Dprefix=/usr \
         -Dsiteprefix=/usr \
         -Dvendorprefix=/usr \
         -Doptimize="${CFLAGS}" \
         ${LDFLAGS:+-Dldflags="$LDFLAGS"} \
         -Dscriptdir=/usr/bin \
         -Dman1dir=/usr/share/man/man1 \
         -Dman3dir=/usr/share/man/man3pm \
         -Dhtml1dir=/usr/share/doc/perl5/html1 \
         -Dhtml3dir=/usr/share/doc/perl5/html3 \
         -Dpager="/usr/bin/less -isR" \
         -Dmyhostname=localhost \
         -Dperladmin=root at localhost

Are there any comments about this?  Should I just drop in these instructions?

The second ticket, 2227, concerns a group of patches, including one reasonably
severe security patch.  This seems to be fixed in the existing patch.  The
question is whether we really need to add any additional perl patches.  There
seem to be a lot of patches, but they are not consolidated.  I can't tell which
are meaningful and which are not.  I'm tempted to mark this wontfix.

   -- Bruce