About the future format for LFS (reworded)

William Immendorf computerperson1 at live.com
Mon Sep 1 09:13:17 PDT 2008

Here is a reworded plan for the future of LFS:

1. Use Relax NG instead of DTDs. They offer more flexibilty than DTDs. If you want to learn about RNG, see this link:

http://www.relaxng.org/tutorial-20011203.html

I think it is best to base it on Docbook 5.0. Please read this:

http://www.docbook.org/docs/howto/

If you want to look at the Docbook 5.0 RNG shema, it is here:

http://www.docbook.org/xml/5.0/rng/docbookxi.rng

2. For Relax NG, creat a namespace for LFS, ie: "http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ns/lfs"

3. Generate the source tarballs using a little PHP, allowing for a extendible book. It also allows for varients of the book with package management.

Oh, and here are a list of elements that have been renamed:

sgmltag is now tag

the sect* elements are now unfied into section

the *info elements are now unified into info

ulink is now link (Oh, and if you see something like this: "vim is the best text editor!!!", you can replace it with this: "vim is the best text editor!!!")

authorblurb is now persionblurb

the corp* and colabname elements are now unified into orgname

And struct* is replased by varname.

For the header, we can remove the external idenfier for the Docbook 4.5 DTD, and add the allent which contains general entry definitons. That url is at:

http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/2007/w3centities-f.ent

No changes to the .ent files are needed, however, we need to update the .xsl files.