About the future format for LFS (reworded)

Thomas Reitelbach tr at erdfunkstelle.de
Thu Sep 4 13:43:54 PDT 2008

Am Dienstag, 2. September 2008 19:33:31 schrieb Bruce Dubbs:
> Change for the sake of change is not where we want to put in
> our effort.  If LFS was a completely new project, we may well consider what
> you are proposing.   However, LFS has been around for almost nine years.

I did not follow the complete thread about the proposed change. And I might
even not really understand what it's all about. But what ever decision will be
taken, please don't forget your translators.

I am such a translator (german) and translation of LFS is a huge amount of
work. Everytime a new book version is about to be released I have to figure
how to build the book and have to adapt some scripts, patches, tools and other
things regarding the translation. But it usually works out. But all the common
tools used for extracting strings into PO format usually depend on docbook XML
and with a few own patches they do work for LFS.

Please when making such a decision keep translation and common translation
tools in mind. Tools used by me are xmllint, xml2pot, po2xml, msgmerge (for po
files), xsltproc and htmldoc (to create PDFs from html).

That's just my 2 cent.

Cheers
Thomas