About the future format for LFS (reworded)

William Immendorf computerperson1 at live.com
Sat Sep 6 14:23:38 PDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

>I think you proposal and the discussion has reached a point where we are just
>rehashing what has been said.  The question has been asked about the advantages
>of RelaxNG.  The only answers I've heard are basically:

>1.  We can add out own tags.
>2.  Because it is there.

>This is not sufficient.  We haven't been trying to work around a tag problem.
>The editors are quite comfortable with the way the book is generated.  Change
>for the sake of change is not where we want to put in our effort.  If LFS was a
>completely new project, we may well consider what you are proposing.   However,
>LFS has been around for almost nine years.

The reason? Look at the expert from the Docbook 4.* to 5.0 howto:

"The simple answer is “because DocBook V5.0 is the future”. Apart from this marketing blurb, there are also more technical reasons:

DocBook V4.x is feature frozen.DocBook V4.5 is the last version of DocBook in the V4.x series. Any new DocBook development, like the addition of new elements, will be done in DocBook V5.0. It is only matter of time before useful, new elements will be added into DocBook V5.0, but they are not likely to be back ported into DocBook V4.x. DocBook V4.x will be in maintenance mode and errata will be published if necessary.

DocBook V5.0 offers new functionality. DocBook V5.0 provides significant improvements over DocBook V4.x. For example there is general markup for annotations, a new and flexible system for linking, and unified markup for information sections using the info element.

DocBook V5.0 is more extensible. Having DocBook V5.0 in a separate namespace allows you to easily mix DocBook markup with other XML-based languages like SVG, MathML, XHTML or even FooBarML.

DocBook V5.0 is easier to customize. RELAX NG offers many powerful constructs that make customization much easier than it would be using a DTD (see the section called “Customizing DocBook V5.0”)."

So that's why we should switch to Docbook 5.0 and RNG and use our own shema.