New personal experimental book [warning: lots of UTF-8 in this]

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 15 16:56:52 PDT 2008

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 07:03:03AM -0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

<snip>
>> OK. I assume that adding "| iconv -f UTF-8 -t //TRANSLIT" to the end
>> will make the line work also in non-UTF-8 locales (manual pages are
>> still expected to be in UTF-8). Could you please test this?
>>

>  You suggested that, or something very like it, to me before.  On
> that occasion I didn't manage to make it work.

<snip>

>>>  The following locales provide an English error message:
>>> hu_HU.UTF-8, id_ID.UTF-8, ja_JP.UTF-8, ko_KR.UTF-8, nb_NO.UTF-8,
>>> nn_NO.UTF-8, sv_SE.UTF-8, tr_TR.UTF-8, vi_VN.UTF-8, zh_CN.UTF-8.
>>>
>> preceded by spam about NLSPATH?
>>

> No, not on my modified clfs yesterday, nor on the LFS-6.3 I'm using
> today.

So...  This is doable for the locales that man supports only, all others
get English error messages and no "NLSPATH spam?"  Pages totally in utf8
_might_ also work on non utf8 consoles with Alexander's suggestion above
(or something like it)?  It doesn't fix the out of date pages problem,
but it's a step forward from man just a few months ago.  Am I following
correctly so far?

-- DJ Lucas