Helping Out [Was: Re: 2 New LFS Editors]

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 30 20:31:19 PDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> To me, I'd like to see two things.  First, an update to the packages.  This is
> relatively straight forward, but of course has a lot of detail.

I think DJ and Randy are handling that so far? I wouldn't mind lending
some fingertips and half a brain here but I've not yet caught up with
everything that's been going on in the blanket ticket.

> Second, I'd like to see a new page on how we are addressing building LFS as a
> 64-bit system.  Then add a section to each page that needs it any special 64-bit
> instructions.

Well most of what is needed to allow 64-bit systems is done already,
since the separate branch I made a while ago was aiming for that. The
principles and method there should work fine, but the packages are out
of date. In fact, most of the current differences between the branch and
trunk outside of package versions and related changes are quite small.
The one thing I hadn't done yet was adjust the boot-loader section
because grub won't work with 64-bit.

So what do you still require in 'a new page'?

> Then a 6.4 or 7.0 release would be appropriate.

> After that, we can address package management.  In the past there has been a
> fair amount of discussion about that, but we need to come to a decision on how
> to address it.

Yeah, and that's part of the discussion I was trying to avoid again just
now. I rather doubt we'd be able to reach a consensus just yet. Perhaps
after the next release as you say.

--
JH