Helping Out [Was: Re: 2 New LFS Editors]

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 20:42:45 PDT 2008

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> To me, I'd like to see two things.  First, an update to the packages.  This is
>> relatively straight forward, but of course has a lot of detail.
>
> I think DJ and Randy are handling that so far? I wouldn't mind lending
> some fingertips and half a brain here but I've not yet caught up with
> everything that's been going on in the blanket ticket.

I've committed to testing.  I'll also make typo/minor changes if appropriate.

>> Second, I'd like to see a new page on how we are addressing building LFS as a
>> 64-bit system.  Then add a section to each page that needs it any special 64-bit
>> instructions.
>
> Well most of what is needed to allow 64-bit systems is done already,
> since the separate branch I made a while ago was aiming for that. The
> principles and method there should work fine, but the packages are out
> of date. In fact, most of the current differences between the branch and
> trunk outside of package versions and related changes are quite small.
> The one thing I hadn't done yet was adjust the boot-loader section
> because grub won't work with 64-bit.

Yes, I know that.  It was the motivation for doing the 64-bit instances first.

> So what do you still require in 'a new page'?

The new page would introduce the issues and provide information for a user to
use to decide if they want a 32-bit system or a 64-bit system.  Yes, I think
that page is necessary.

   -- Bruce