udev 1.42 : vol_id missing

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Fri Jun 19 09:03:28 PDT 2009

Tobias Gasser wrote:
> chapter 6.56 / svn-20090611
>
> the vol_id mentionned in the short descriptions does not exist any more.
>  the libvolume_id is missing too.

See bug #2391.

In short: the current book is broken.

I thought there would be much less time before the util-linux-ng-2.16
release (which fixes *all* the issues, by including both a version of blkid
that works with udev, and a libuuid for the newer e2fsprogs -- which itself
is required if you use the blkid from util-linux-ng).

Giant mess at the moment...

> i guess this is why dev/disk/by-* is incomplete, only by-id and by-path
> are created but no by-label or by-uuid.

Yes.  I'd say revert to udev-141 for the moment if you need it...

> blkid is installed from util-linux-ng 2.14.2 on my system in /sbin/blkid
> where the *.rules are looking for it.

But it has the wrong set of features; i.e. it's too old for Kay (udev
maintainer).  :-P

I do not believe the output is compatible with what udev is expecting (I
know this is true in my ancient copy of blkid, but this does *not*
necessarily apply to util-linux-ng-2.14.2).  There may also be FS types
that it doesn't handle properly, though I don't think so.

> maybe we have to add something to the udev-config (i used 20090523 as
> mentionned in chapter 6.56), or update util-linux-ng to 2.15 or 2.15.1?

The first won't help.  The second would, except for the problem with
e2fsprogs (see the bug).  We're waiting on 2.16 at the moment.

Easiest fix until this is all sorted out is to downgrade udev to 141 again...