hwclock

Guy Dalziel krendoshazin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 03:44:38 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 05:24:19PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> will not be able to save it's drift adjustment parameters.   It may be a non
> issue for us because I haven't heard anyone complain and the error message
> should be in the logs.

I have seperate /tmp and /var partitions as I like to control the options that
they are mounted with, such as nodev, noexec, and nosuid. Also having those 2
paritions at around 400M each ensures that they don't max out the root
partition, only themselves.
Personally I've probably never noticed the problem because it only happens
during reboot, also the fact that I tend to only use root by itself if
something needs to be fixed so I'm not really there long enough to notice.

I'm not quite sure how important it is to allow / to be mounted read-only, but
personally for myself I would like to reach a point where / is usable by itself
and /usr is just extended functionality. The system shouldn't be crippled
because of the loss of that.

On an additional note do you think we should include a basic text editor in to
the root filesystem? Many a time I have dropped in to single user, attempted to
fire up vim to edit a config file and have met with the sudden realisation that
/usr, of course, isn't mounted. The functionality of / by itself is rather basic
without it.