RFC: Man-DB UTF-8 support fix

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 10 08:10:56 PDT 2009

Hi all,

At http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~matthew/lfs_man_db_fix/chapter06/man-db.html
you can see the results of my attempt at fixing #2379
(http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/2379).

I'd appreciate review of that page to check that it is accurate.  The changes
from http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/man-db.html
include:

1) Removal of the convert-mans script.  Man-DB should just do the right thing
   now.
2) Removal of the discussion of what other distributions support as I judged
   it to be largely irrelevant and confusing given the much simplified
   setup we can now adopt
3) Updated the encoding table to match what Man-DB-2.5.5 languages now supports
   and removed the now outdated list of languages it doesn't support.
4) Added a 'make check' command, as Man-DB now comes with a test suite.  This
   currently fails 8 out of 9 of the test though, with the following message:

   FAIL: col: Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character

   So this may get dropped before the commit is made.

The book patch I intend to commit is attached.

Regards,

Matt.